If you are from a member country of the European Union, Switzerland, Norway or Liechtenstein, you must request a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the social security authorities in your country. This will allow you to register with Symbio at no charge. You may also receive reimbursements for urgent and necessary care. To register with Symbio, simply submit a copy of your EHIC and complete a registration form.

If you come from another country which does not issue EHICs, you may register as a « resident » if you hold a residence permit that is valid for this type of registration. In this case, your contributions will be calculated based on your income in Belgium. If your income does not exceed a gross sum of € 13 077,84 per year, you qualify for compulsory insurance and benefit from free membership.

Various documents must be completed and returned to Symbio along a copy of your Belgian residency permit.

If you do not (yet) hold a residency permit making you eligible to register as a ‘resident’, you can register at Symbio as a third-level student, in which case you must be enrolled as a regular daytime student at a college or university recognized by the INAMI (National Institute of Health and Disability Insurance). This registration is against a fee and subject to the laws in force. For information, the current fee is € 58,36/quarter. To register, you must complete a registration form  and provide us with a certificate of enrollment in the college or university of your choice.